Engineering is the application of scientific, social and practical knowledge in order to invent or have a design in building, maintaining, researching, and improving structures or machines.
The discipline of engineering is very broad, and it encompasses a wide range of specialized engineering fields, each of the field has a more specific emphasis on particular areas of science, technology and other types of application.
Professional people in the engineering field are engineers. Engineers can design and build aircraft through aerospace ,roads and buildings parts is structural, computers and electronics parts is electrical, machinery and vehicles is mechanical, agricultural equipment’s and processes is agricultural engineering .Without engineering techniques , the world would be a very different world .
Engineering has become a broad discipline which is broken down into several disciplines. These disciplines are concerned with differing areas of working in engineering. An engineer is usually trained in a specific discipline, in an engineer’s career they can become multi-disciplined. Engineering is characterized by having this four main branches:
- Chemical engineering – This is the application of physics, biology, and other engineering principles in order to perform chemical processes on a commercial scale
- Civil engineering – This design and construction of various public and private works. They include airports, roads railways infrastructure and water, dams bridges and, and buildings.
3.Eectrical engineering –This form of engineering designs and study various electrical and electronic systems, for example electrical circuits ,motors ,generators optical fibers, computer systems, instrumentation and controls,
- Mechanical engineering – This include the design of mechanical or physical systems, such as power and energy system and aerospace products, engines and vacuum technology.
Other sources vary on other main branches includes naval manufacturing instrumentation and control textile industrial, aerospace automotive electronic software and mining engineering.
For each of these fields there is a considerable overlapping , especially in the major areas of application of sciences to their respective disciplines such as chemistry mathematics and physics,.
Engineers usually apply mathematics and a form of sciences such as physics to find a suitable solution to problem or even to make an improvements to the equipment’s .Engineers are required to have wide knowledge of relevant disciplines in sciences. As a result, the engineers may keep on acquiring new material throughout their respective careers.
Relationships of engineering with other disciplines
- Science world -Scientists can also complete engineering tasks, such as designing apparatus or buildings. In the process of inventing a technology engineers find themselves exploring new ideas, thus becoming inventory scientists
- Medicine and biology- This is the study of the human body. An important common link between medicine and some engineering disciplines is the use of technology in medicine . It is used to sustain, repair, and enhance human body.